First Presbyterian Church, Huntsville, Arkansas is a congregation of persons who love and worship the Lord, encourage learning, find gentle forgiveness, and promote acceptance and tolerance through God’s grace.
Our mission is to be a place of acceptance and a joyful church home; show Christian love through community service; educate adults and children in the Reformed faith, and preserve our church heritage.
New Fellowship Hall
God has blessed us so richly!
Our beautiful fellowship hall has seen wonderful progress and we are very pleased with its completion! Our building was dedicated on April 24, 2016, and we are using the building for Sunday School classes, potluck meals, committee meetings, community outreach, and office space!
The First Presbyterian Church of Huntsville was organized in October, 1841. The first Church was built in 1848 on land donated by John C. Long and was burned, along with most buildings in Huntsville, during the Civil War. The church organization was very weak, for some time after the war, and not until December 25, 1881, was the church reorganized as a Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The reorganization took place at the Methodist Episcopal Church, and met there until 1887 with 23 charter members on the session records. John C. Long, a devout minister of the church, donated land and $100 for the building of a new 50’ x 34’ brick church. The bricks were made on the grounds and baked west of town. The church, upon completion, was dedicated on January 1, 1888.
Members of early church congregation
The pulpit, which is still in use today, was purchased in1889; and the congregation contributed $14 “to seat the Church Building.” An “elegant pulpit chair,” that is still used by the minister, was donated in 1889 by Thomas Scaggs.
Older members recall that during World War I, there was no pastor and very scattered Presbyterian meetings. The men of the church were all either in armed services or at war work away from home. At this time, a terrible hail storm destroyed the roof of the building and broke out windows. As the congregation did not have money for repairs, the building was rented to other denominations for services and the Proceeds were used to repair the building.
During World War II, a Friendship Class was formed to support the women whose husbands were at war.
During the late 1940’s the Fellowship Hall and Sunday school rooms were added to the back of the church. In 1960, $5.00 donations were taken from church and community members to purchase memorial squares to construct a sidewalk on the east side of the church. Throughout the years many memorials were presented to include an altar, stained glass windows, an organ, and a piano.
Today, the church continues to honor many traditions such as the annual Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, the Community Easter Sunrise Service, as well as the 4th Sunday Fellowship Dinner.
Huntsville is a city in mountainous Madison County, Arkansas.
The population was 2,346 at the 2010 census.
The city is the county seat of Madison County (population 15, 717).